Monday, July 9, 2012

Starting at the Beginning

Quick note, I'd like to apologize for not posting on the day that I said I would, but I've recently got my first job at a fast food restaurant and was working all day on Saturday and Sunday. Now moving on!

Being a beginning writer you want to wade into the publishing world and not jump in with a book right away. You can try, but as for me, I have a plan of building up to that. The plan is that while I'm still living at home with my parents and don't need money to support myself in the real world yet, that I'll start with publishing for no money, just to get my name out there and hopefully somewhat noticed. Then when I'm ready to start publishing for money hopefully then magazines will want to pay me. After that try for novels. I think it's a well thought out plan and I'm finally starting.

I've so far submitted a story to the magazines, Danse Macabre and Inwood Indiana Press, I've also submitted three poems to the magazine, NAP. We'll see how well the poems go because I don't really like them at all and know for sure I'm not a poet, just thought I would try.

The process of submitting your work, so far seems pretty simple, though we'll see how well I did it. So you have to usually write a Cover Letter (a website I found useful in case like me this'll be your first one and you don't know how: http://voices.yahoo.com/how-write-cover-letters-short-story-submissions-358314.html?cat=44) to go with your submission. Then  you'd copy and paste your story into the correct area. WARNING: Be sure to read the magazines submission guidelines, most should have them somewhere on their website and you should read all of it because each magazine is different. They also suggest on the magazine's website that you read some of their latest entries to be sure for yourself if the story you're submitting, or your style, would fit into their magazine. 

So far this is all the advice for you who are in the same boat as me that I have. I'll let you know on the outcome of my submissions and if you have any advice for me on the process of beginning publishing I would very much appreciate it. You can leave your advice in the comments below.
                                                 Don't give up,
                                                            Gypsy Ink

1 comment:

  1. Okay, Miss writer of words. It seems you're getting caught up in some reality or another, and not into the present reality of word writing. Write everyday from now on. Keep a journal of stories. Tell a story everyday and write it down. Then once a week type them to the internet for all us starving readers of words.

    ReplyDelete