Saturday, December 10, 2011

Fanfiction

I don’t know how many of you know about fanfiction, but in short it’s where you write your version of a story, movie, anime, comic, ect. that you like or don’t like. And I know what some of you are thinking, why spend any time and energy on re-writing an already published, maybe even popular, story?

The answer, to practice. I see fanfiction as not any basis for my actual writing, other than a way that I can practice my character development or plot outline. Being a beginning writer getting in over her head with more advance projects, I need as much practice as I can get! Another way I see it is as my version of gaming. Some people go around shooting virtual creatures, I write fanfiction. Although, I haven’t actually written a fanfiction story in a while, guiltily leaving a story to rot on the 9th chapter, but that’s because I found roleplaying websites, which are more interactive and let’s just face it, more fun.

Though out of all this practice I do read a little of others’ writings, and there is one thing that I have a problem with most of all, besides those you have bad grammar and spelling. It’s when people take a perfectly good character and re-write them. Such as stories I’ve read about Pirates of the Caribbean. They take Jack Sparrow…excuse me…CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow, a drunk sometimes wise, one night stand kind of pirate and put him with a girl next door type. This is perfectly fine, for just a night. But when I think of Jack I see him thinking that they have too much baggage and leaving them before they wake up. But these writers don’t stop, they then take him make him fall in love with said girl and then make him faithful. FAITHFUL?! A pirate? Really? Jack wouldn’t be faithful to anyone, under any circumstances. The love part however isn’t too far off, but honestly he loves anyone with breasts.
Personally if I knew Jack, and if he was a real person, I would happily settle for friends with benefits with him. Here’s my reasoning, you get his friendship which is great because he seems to keep in touch with his friends pretty well for a pirate, and well I’m sure you can guess the other reason.
Though I guess if you like Twilight and its characters you would think I’m being hypocritical, and I might, but not in my head. Because in my head Twilight isn’t all that special or even that good, but we’ll talk about those reasons on a later date.

Backing up to before all the distractions of teenage writer, fanfiction is a great way to practice or just play, for lack of a better word. Though be careful with what you make your characters do, especially Captain Jack Sparrow, because I may just come out of your computer and strangle you. Please keep your characters realistic, and if they change have that be gradual is my advice.
                                                                                Keep it real gypsies,
                                                                                     Gypsy Ink

(Also if you have advice for me, comments, concerns about my, questions, or you just want to rant off of my rant. Leave your comments below they will be much appreciated .)

No comments:

Post a Comment